Friday 28 August 2009

The Angel of The North- architecture

I went last weekend to visit my family in Gateshead Newcastle.  We drove past an extrodinary piece of architecture.  The Angel of the North is a contemporary sculpture and was designed by Antony Gormley.  The Angel of the North is made out of steel (a product which is a mjaor part of local heritage) and is a sculpture of an Angel that stands 20 meters tall and the wings measure 54 meters across the angels chest.  The wings are angled at 3.5 degrees which Gormley has said aims to create a sense of embrace.  I think this is a wonderful sculpture and the sculpture I think symbolizes the warmth and friendliness that the geordies express when you come into their city.  They are known for being friendly and I think this piece of architecture symbolizes that perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment